Cooking perfect rice is simple and easy
You don’t have to have a rice cooker, but if you do – it definitely helps.
Just measure out rice, add water and push a button – before you know it – perfectly cooked rice for any Asian table.
Rice cookers are really only great if you are making Chinese / Japanese style rice.
It doesn’t really make great Jasmin, Thai or Persian rice because they are not sticky and really should produce individual grains.
There’s no secret to cooking white rice – just play around with the liquid amount – which various according to rice and rice cooker.
If you are trying to include more fibre in your diet, try adding some brown rice to your white rice
It adds a great nutty texture and taste, as well as being a real nutrient booster
For the perfect 50-50 brown and white rice – here’s how to:
- Measure out 1 cup brown rice and soak in water for at least 1 hour. Set aside
- When ready to cook your rice, measure out 1 cup white rice and combine with the brown rice.
- Rinse under cold water, rinsing and moving the rice around for at least 4 washes, or until the water runs clear
- Add fresh water to the mark on your rice cooker and cook
- When the rice is cooked, let it stand for about 10 minutes, before fluffing and letting it sit for another further 10 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid
- Enjoy your PERFECTLY cooked 50-50 brown and white rice