There are probably a lot of dos and don’ts when it comes to making authentic cornbread
For those that just want to eat… quickly! Executive style is back in the kitchen, cooking up simple recipes on the weekend
- 2 cups cornmeal
- less than 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 Tbsp sugar, optional and probably frowned upon by Southerners
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg (optional)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, or olive oil if you really don’t have this but are desperate for cornbread
- 1 Tbsp bacon drippings, yeah baby
- Preheat the oven to about 400 deg F
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and buttermilk until combined, then mix that into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir in the melted butter.
- Put some butter in a heavy or 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet, place on a medium heat or place in the oven if your skillet is oven-proof
- Add the cornbread batter and make sure it is evenly distributed in the skillet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Stand for about 10 minutes before cutting or it will crumble on you
Here is her latest: Cornbread Recipe that goes well with pulled pork, maple syrup or just as a snack with lashings of REAL butter