Delicious sweet potato spiced curry Image: Bhojana Recipes
If you went to your local farmers market this weekend and purchased a LOT of fresh veggies, you’re probably wondering what to do with all those potatoes?
Well, despite the bad wrap these tasty, starchy and totally loveable vegetables have been getting by fitness gurus – they are in fact good for you. Loaded with lots of vitamins and minerals, not to mention filling – so you don’t snack – these are Mother Nature’s greatest gifts to foodies!
Cook, Subhashni Venkatesh loves them and explains 10 great ways to use them!!
Potatoes are Tasty, Stomach filling and Cheaper. Potato is the favorite vegetable for all age groups. Simple changes made in cooking by adding potatoes will make your recipe very rich and attractive. Potato contains no fat and it is rich in vitamin C also. Follow the Smart Samayal Tips about Potatoes and make your recipes Yummy…
- Peel off the skin of potato and cut in to very small cubes. Deep fry it in oil or bake it in an oven and add to any variety rice tamarind rice or Lemon rice to make it look attractive and it demands no side dish after adding potatoes.
- While doing any stuffed parathas if you have unexpected guests boil 2 or 3 potatoes, mash them well and mix with the paratha mix at yield more quantity and better taste.
- Boil 2 potatoes, peel off and mash them well. Add 5 bread pieces to it, finely chopped onions, ginger, green chillies and coriander leaves and make them in to balls. Slightly flatten them by pressing them in the hand. Then shallow fry them on the tawa with less oil on both sides and have with tomato sauce.
- Cut the boiled potatoes in to small cubes after peeling off the skin. Sprinkle salt and pepper powder in them. Add some freshly grated carrots and capsicum. Toss with 1 tea spoon og lemon juice. Your children will love this colorful potato salad which gives buth soft and crunchy texture.
- Mashed potato mixed in milk can be added to soups and stew as a thickener. It gives fantastic taste.
- When you do any vegetable fry for normal cooking like carrot fry add a cup of potato pieces to get good taste and yield.
- Heat a pan with 3 table spoons of butter. Add onion pieces and fry till golden.Add finely grated cabbage and cook in low flame till it becomes soft. Add salt, pepper powder and a cup mashed potato and mix well. It works as a wonderful spread for any bread variety.
- When you prepare potatoes during night it is better to add either ginger or garlics along with potatoes which help for easy digestion and doesn’t give the feeling of heaviness.
- While making chappatis add a cup of mashed potatoes with wheat dough add some desired spices like cumin seed powder, red chilli powder and coriander leaves and make chappatis. It tastes very different and yummy with simple curd as side dish.
- Adding potato pieces to any gravy while boiling absorbs extra salt or spicy in the gravy and balances the taste.