4 different cheeses to get you all the Calcium you need
This is my slightly gourmet version of an old classic.
The seriously cheesy and totally gooey pasta warms you up inside, while the crunchy, toasty topping of breadcrumbs gives it that extra oomph to impress guests. Serve with a garden salad and you’ve got a meal.
|My Little SoHo Kitchen – Michelle TCHEA|
Macaroni 250 g (9 oz)
Milk 250 ml (8 fl oz / 1 cup)
Ground nutmeg a sprinkle
Ground black pepper to taste
Gruyère cheese 140 g (5 oz) grated + 45 g (11/2 oz), cubed
Cheddar cheese 85 g (3 oz), grated
Mozzarella cheese 85 g (3 oz), grated
Mascarpone cheese 4 Tbsp
Cherry tomatoes 6, halved
Panko breadcrumbs 150 g (51/3 oz)
Butter 2 Tbsp, cubed
1. Preheat oven to 160˚C (325˚F).
2. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add macaroni and cook for about 7 minutes. Drain macaroni and reserve about 125 ml (4 fl oz / 1/2 cup) of the liquid. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, crack egg into milk. Sprinkle in nutmeg and add a dash of pepper. Add Gruyère, Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
4. Throw in semi-cooked macaroni and its reserved liquid. Mix evenly.
5. Stir in Mascarpone cheese, then pour everything into a lightly greased rectangular baking dish. Top with cherry tomatoes.
6. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and arrange cubed butter evenly on top.
7. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is brown and crusty.
8. Serve warm.